The win versus Swansea sees City through to the FA Cup quarter-finals

Manchester City broke the English football record for successive wins by a top-flight club by beating Swansea 3-1 on Wednesday to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals.

Kyle Walker, Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus were on target for the visitors, who extended their winning run in all competitors to 15 games.

Victory was likewise Pep Guardiola’s 200th in 268 games as City employer, with the Premier League leaders still on course for a historical quadruple of trophies.

Guardiola’s males hold a five-point lead with a video game in hand at the top of the Premier League, face Tottenham in the League Cup final in April and resume their obstacle to win a first Champions League in the last 16 against Borussia Monchengladbach later this month.

” It is amazing for ourselves, we can not reject how happy and happy we are to break this record,” stated Guardiola. “Records exist to be broken, however they need to do well (to beat it).

” It is hard in the modern era to make 15 wins in a row.”

Despite the congested schedule, Guardiola typically named a strong side for the trip to south Wales with Sterling, Rodrigo, Bernardo Silva and Ilkay Gundogan keeping their places from Sunday’s 4-1 win away to Liverpool.

Walker has actually lost his place as very first choice right-back due to Joao Cancelo’s excellent kind.

The England protector took his opportunity to impress with an unusual objective to open the scoring on 30 minutes when his tantalising cross avoided everybody in the middle and located in the bottom corner.

City rapidly turned their complete control of the game into a commanding lead inside the very first 5 minutes of the second half.

To start with, Rodrigo launched Sterling to slot home his 11th goal of the season with a calm finish.

Jesus then managed and slammed house Silva’s header back throughout goal, enabling Guardiola to replace Sterling, Silva and Gundogan early with an eye to Tottenham’s see to the Etihad on Saturday.

But Rodrigo hobbled off with an ankle injury 20 minutes from time that will worry the City employer.

Morgan Whittaker pulled a goal back for the Swans 13 minutes from time, however Steve Cooper’s men can now completely focus on their quest to acquire promotion to the Premier League for the remainder of the season.