A STORMING second half return saw home side Sheffield Medicals secure a 28-28 draw against Old Otliensians in an amusing Yorkshire 3 encounter to kickstart the new years.

Otliensians handled to beat Sheffield convincingly previously in the season and the very first half of this fixture looked to have the same fate.

A penalty was provided against ‘Ensians, however, a dazzling interception by Will Cooper throughout the line-out resulted in a shot and an excellent conversion by Connor Bateman.

From the reboot, a well-taken running catch and drive by Macca Mcllorum took the ‘Ensians into Sheffield area, only to be pushed back to their own try line after a penalty.

Tackle after deal with stopped the home team from scoring till a clearing kick by Ollie Eaves resulted in a try by Luke Cowdell, which Bateman transformed.

A shot could have been scored after a drive from Sam Featherstone resulted in a five-metre scrummage, from which a more try could have been scored by ‘Ensians but a marginal forward pass rejected Cowdell from touching down.

That disappointment was short-lived, however, as minutes later Bateman scored a try which he converted.

For the staying 7 minutes of the first half, ‘Ensians supremacy continued with Medics just successful attack being ruled as off-side and their kicks being returned ‘with interest’. A score of 21 unanswered points was a true reflection of that half.

Cowdell scored his second shot when he intercepted a Sheffield pass and ran almost the complete length of the pitch. The most convenient of Bateman’s conversions put the visitors 28 points to the excellent.

That, unfortunately, was the last of the great news for ‘Ensians, as from that point the momentum of the video game changed in favour of the house group and, regardless of their efforts, there seemed absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

4 unanswered Sheffield tries were scored, primarily through their resurgent forward’s efforts, with all being transformed. Although one missed out on conversion was retaken when the referee chose the ‘Ensians’ group had been making excessive sound during the very first kick.

The last converted shot was instantly followed by the last whistle.

A number of choices from that 2nd half were open to concern but the home side certainly ‘stuck to their weapons’ nevertheless, neither team should have to lose.